Having sexual needs is an important part of growing up and you should never feel ashamed about that. If you want to have sex, that’s fine. But, if you want to have sex while you are on your periods, that's fine too! Period Sex is one of those topics that is usually hushed. But we are pretty sure you're all curious about it and want the deets.
So, here are some tips for some bloody-good period sex.
- It’s a messy business: Period sex can be enjoyable, but don’t overlook that it can be messy too. To keep things under control and avoid bloodstains, cover your sheets with a towel or an extra sheet that you can wash later. Insider tip? You can opt to have period sex on days when your flow is light to make things easier.
2. Use a contraceptive- Sorry for this spoiler but you can get pregnant if you have unprotected sex during your periods. If you and your partner do not intend to conceive, it is preferable to use a contraceptive to prevent it. Moreover, your chances of contracting sexually transmitted infections (STI) increase during your period. As a result, it is important to practise safe sex habits during your period too.
3. Foreplay, mademoiselle? - Many people are afraid of the ‘going down’ business because of the blood. However, you can use a tampon or a menstrual cup to keep things under control. This way you don’t have to worry about the blood and you can focus more on having fun with your partner.
Now that we know the tips, let’s dive in and highlight some benefits of having period sex!
- Helps with cramps- You should know that orgasms are an excellent pain reliever for menstrual cramps. So, the next time you're suffering from painful cramps, you should try period sex. Furthermore, an orgasm will not only relieve cramps but will also help with the shedding of the uterine lining, making your period shorter.
2. A natural lube- Did you know that period blood can also be used as a natural lubricant? Next time if you want to make your sex more pleasurable then period sex is the answer.
3. It can alleviate headaches- Period sex can reduce headaches and improve your mood. Studies show that it can help with migraines and distress. So, the next time you have a headache, give period sex a shot rather than medication.
To have sex during your periods or not is completely your choice. But you should know that it’s normal, so don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. It’s time you get out of your comfort zone and get freaky.
Dashamnoor is the curator of this blog