Something smells fishy down there? It could very well be a sign of infection! Your vaginal odour is dependent on a lot of factors such as your daily habits, lifestyle, and most importantly your diet. But, how does what goes into your stomach affect the things down there? The reason is quite simple, eating certain types of foods changes the pH level of the microflora responsible for the smell of your vajayjay. Foods that have a strong smell can also cause odour changes in the vagina. Some of the foods that are responsible for altering the smell of your vagina are spices, smoked foods, onion, garlic, broccoli, asparagus, and coffee. Consuming excessive amounts of meat, dairy products, and liquor also makes the genital smell strong and sour. Alternatively, fruits rich in citrus (like oranges and grapefruits) can make the smell and taste of vaginal fluids sweeter(IYKYK). There are a few types of research claiming that people who adhere to a vegetarian diet have a milder vaginal odour.
Lactobacillus, one of the bacterias present in the vaginal flora, plays an important role in maintaining a balance in the whole system. Humans are the only mammals with this type of dominant bacteria; one possible reason for this is that the high starch content in our diets leads to high levels of glycogen in the vaginal tract, creating a suitable environment for the bacteria. Nevertheless, there still hasn’t been enough study to fully understand how your diet can change your gut and vaginal microbiome.
Here are some food items that you can add to your diet to rid the foul odour:
1. Pineapple: You must’ve heard about the miracle worker that has been curbing the bad odour and making things taste sweet down there? Pineapple is rich in Vitamins C & B and fibre. These play an important role in supporting your gut health and keeping your vagina healthy too.
2. Cinnamon: A mild antibiotic that helps prevent yeast infections, cinnamon is good for balancing the pH in the vagina. It is an alkaline spice that can help neutralize any excess acidity down there.
3. Watermelon: The most loved fruit of all time! It flushes out the toxins from your body and helps keep your vagina clean. It contains prebiotics that can balance pH levels and introduce good bacteria to your vagina.
4. Peppermint: Known for its aromatic properties, Cinnamon ensures that your vagina smells good. Try switching to Peppermint tea and see the difference yourself!
5. Plain yoghurt: Now, it's said that most dairy products are terrible for your vaginal odour but, yoghurt is one exception. The good bacteria found in yoghurt help to restore the bacterial balance in your vagina. Protip: Avoid sugary yoghurts as they can worsen the vaginal odour.
6. Celery: Celery is a green veggie that can do wonders for your vaginal scent because it is rich in vitamins and minerals. Plus, its alkaline nature can keep vaginal bacteria and infections at bay.
7. Cranberries: Cranberries help reduce the risk of UTIs and also help ward off vaginal infections. Compounds in cranberries balance the vagina’s pH level and its acidic properties might help fight bacteria that cause infection. As a result, a healthy and infection-free vagina has no reason to smell bad!
Let us know in the comments below if you know of any more food products that help curb the bad odour!
The blog is written by Nikhil Malla.